Practical Magic Blog Partying!

 
"Oh, I've been looking for that. That's his, um, party trick! Right, Sal?"

I will always wonder how they got a toad to cough up a ring in the movie. But I also enjoyed the use of toads throughout the story. In dream interpretation, toads represent death, rebirth and the transformation between them. In European mythology, toads were believed to house a "toadstone" in their skulls. Toadstones were thought to cure poison and heal epilepsy. The toad is also typically depicted as a witch's familiar and a symbol of the devil.

It will always make me smile that in Practical Magic, the toad is not depicted as evil or good, but rather an important mess anger of the realm of death. When it coughs up Jimmy Angelove's ring it's introducing the first physical contact Jimmy has with the living world - thus making it very clear that death is not the end or something to be toyed with.

I came up with this little guy after my Saguaro pancake experiment went awry.The original pattern had him as one piece, but I switched it up a bit and hinged the mouth from the body, gave him a red mouth, and sewed in a secret pouch in the mouth. Now it's my very own Practical Magic frog!



In celebration of the Practical Magic Blog Party, and over 50 followers, I'm hosting my first giveaway! If you'd like a jewellery toad for your very own self, here's the drill:

One point each:
 - Leave a comment on this entry
 - Blog about the giveaway
 - Follow me on Google or Facebook

The winner will be announced in two weeks on October 9, 2010.
 
And check out the other PMBP sites. There are a few people with some darn yummy looking recipes for Midnight Margaritas!